Fastly is a provider of cloud computing services that was founded in 2011 by Swedish-American entrepreneur Artur Bergman.
Who are its main competitors in terms of CDN providers? Let’s find out.
Founded in 1998, Akamai has an extensive network of data centers and servers around the world.
These are hired out to online enterprises and eCommerce companies who desire faster, smoother load times and content distribution.
Features include API acceleration, real-time load testing, performance monitoring, intelligent load balancing, and an image and video manager that optimizes content on any device.
Akamai is a major Fastly competitor with full-year revenue for 2021 at $3.5 billion.
Notable clients include NBC, Lufthansa, Fox, The Washington Post, Honda, and Domino’s.
Amazon CloudFront is a CDN network with low latency and high transfer speeds. Some of the platform’s features include:
- Reduced latency via more than 310 global Points of Presence (PoPs) with intelligent routing and automated network mapping.
- Increased security thanks to traffic encryption and access controls.
- DDoS attack protection with AWS Shield Standard.
- Customizable code with serverless compute features that allow companies to better balance performance and security with cost.
Amazon is also a significant CDN player with clients such as Reuters, Slack, King, and Hulu.
According to the company website, Cloudflare is the world’s fastest content delivery network with ultra-fast dynamic and static content delivery.
The network is API-first, which means customers can automate workflows with precision and control.
They can also reduce their bandwidth costs and utilize Cloudflare’s unmetered DDoS protection.
In 2021, Cloudflare CDN was recognized by Gartner Peer Insights with the Customers’ Choice award. Some of these customers include Mars, Garmin, IBM, Shopify, and Zendesk.
Microsoft Azure CDN
Microsoft’s Azure platform consists of more than 200 products and cloud services to help businesses manage applications either on-premise or at the edge.
Security on Azure is first class and is trusted by enterprises, start-ups, and governments, while the open-source nature of the platform allows clients to customize their products to suit any language or framework.
Netlify is a relatively young cloud computing company that was founded in 2014 by Mathias Biilmann and Christian Bach.
The company’s platform, dubbed Netlify Edge, is fast, secure, resilient, and reliable, with clients such as Smashing Magazine receiving a 1000% boost in site performance from its automated prerendering.
Netlify Edge is distributed like a CDN but with advanced functionality for publishing applications and entire sites.
Maintenance windows, stale content, and broken deploys are negated since every global deploy is an instant update of the application.
With worldwide caches invalidated instantly, Edge has a traditional CDN covered in terms of its ability to support richer applications.
- Fastly is a provider of cloud computing services that was founded in 2011 by Swedish-American entrepreneur Artur Bergman.
- Akamai is a major Fastly competitor with billions in annual revenue and an established client base. Amazon CloudFront and Microsoft Azure are also worthy competitors because of their heritage in cloud computing and respected brand names.
- Other competitors include Cloudflare, with the world’s fastest content delivery network, and Netlify, a relative newcomer that enables clients to put their entire site on a CDN with and optimize the serving of their assets.
Main Free Guides:
- Business Models
- Business Strategy
- Business Development
- Digital Business Models
- Distribution Channels
- Marketing Strategy
- Platform Business Models
- Tech Business Model