Amazon is a consumer e-commerce platform with a diversified business model spanning across e-commerce, cloud, advertising, streaming, and more. Over the years, Amazon acquired several companies. As it operates across several industries, Amazon has a wide range of competitors across each of those industries. For instance, Amazon E-commerce competes with Shopify, Wix, Google, Etsy, eBay, BigCommerce.
How to analyze a company with tentacles across many industries
Analyzing a company can be done from several perspectives. For a diversified business model, like Amazon, things can get even more complicated. Indeed, over the years, Amazon started with a simple use case (books), and it expanded in all directions on online commerce. At the same time, over the years, Amazon also bought several companies,
Amazon expanded in several verticals, and for each vertical we can identify different competitors:
- E-commerce (Amazon.com): Shopify, Wix, Google, Etsy, eBay, BigCommerce.
- Physical retail (Whole Foods): Target, Walmart, BestBuy, The Home Depot, Costco, Walgreens, Kroger, Trader Joe’s.
- Last-mile delivery: Flipkart, Instacart, Doordash.
- Streaming (Prime): Netflix, Spotify, YouTube (Google), Disney+, Hulu, HBO.
- Cloud (Amazon AWS): Microsoft, Google, IBM.
- Digital advertising: Google, YouTube, Facebook (Instagram), Bing (Microsoft), Twitter, Pinterest.
We could expand farther the analysis, if we were to zoom further from the perspective of all the Amazon’s subsidiaries.
More on Amazon
More about Amazon:
- Amazon Business Model
- Amazon SWOT Analysis
- Amazon Subsidiaries
- Who Owns Amazon
- What Is the Receivables Turnover Ratio?
- Amazon Case Study
- What Is Cash Conversion Cycle?
- Amazon Flywheel
- Amazon Value Propositions
- Why Amazon Is Doubling Down On AWS
- The Economics Of The Amazon Seller Business In A Nutshell
- How Much Is Amazon Advertising Business Worth?
- What Is the Cost per First Stream Metric?
- Jeff Bezos Teaches You When Judgment Is Better Than Math And Data
- Alibaba vs. Amazon Compared in a Single Infographic
- Amazon Mission Statement and Vision Statement In A Nutshell
Connected to Amazon Business Model