In 2018 Amazon made around $10 billion in advertising revenues, compared to Facebook $55 billion and Google $116 billion.
Compared to Facebook $55 billion and Google $116 billion for the same period, Amazon runs a diversified business model, with several revenue streams, it also gives the company more space to experiment with advertising.
Entering the winner-take-all digital advertising business
In a digital advertising market dominated by Google and Facebook, there might be a third entrant. Conquering that place would a hard if a not impossible enterprise, for any company, except one: Amazon.
In a scenario, of the winner-take-all effect, the duopoly Google-Facebook control the market.
Just to give you a bit of context, you can appreciate from the infographics below how the digital advertising business looks like between the two tech giants.
And Google advertising business dissected:
How doesstand in comparison?
Amazon advertising business
I dived into Amazon financials and looked at an item called “Other revenues” which primarily comprises revenues from advertising business. And this is what I figured.
If we look at the third quarter of 2018:
Amazon advertising revenues have grown from over a billion dollar in the third quarter of 2017, compared to almost two and a half billion dollars in the third quarter of 2018!
If we change perspective and look at the first nine months of 2017, compared to 2018:
Year over year there was about a 230% increase. So the revenues that come from Amazon advertising business more than doubled (assuming that the advertising business of Amazon represents most of the “other” revenues).
How does Amazon compare to Google and Facebook?
Amazon vs. Google vs. Facebook: the advertising business compared
How does Amazon compare to Goole and Facebook?
By looking at the size of the Amazon advertising business, that is still about six times smaller than Facebook and over twelve times smaller than Google.
However, if we look at Amazon overall business model you realize that (as of now) advertising is a small chunk of its revenue:
It is also interesting to notice how Amazon is diversifying its revenues toward the physical store and how other parts of the business, like subscriptions and AWS, have a different logic compared to the core business.
Where online stores have a very low-profit margin yet operate with the logic of the cash machine.
Instead, Amazon Prime operates with the logic of a subscription business model. And AWS has still a different logic compared to other units of the business, yet it runs at high margins compared to the online stores.
And Facebook that entirely relies on advertising:
Amazon has more space to maneuver and experiment with new revenue sources.
Willbecome the next giant to dominate the digital advertising space?
- The Power of Google Business Model in a Nutshell
- How Does Google Make Money? It’s Not Just Advertising!
- How Does DuckDuckGo Make Money? DuckDuckGo Business Model Explained
- How Amazon Makes Money: Amazon Business Model in a Nutshell
- How Does Netflix Make Money? Netflix Business Model Explained
- How Does Spotify Make Money? Spotify Business Model In A Nutshell
- The Trillion Dollar Company: Apple Business Model In A Nutshell
- DuckDuckGo: The [Former] Solopreneur That Is Beating Google at Its Game
Other resources for your business:
- Business Strategy: Definition, Examples, And Case Studies
- What Is a Business Model? 30 Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- Blitzscaling Business Model Innovation Canvas In A Nutshell
- What Is a Value Proposition? Value Proposition Canvas Explained
- What Is a Lean Startup Canvas? Lean Startup Canvas Explained
- How to Write a One-Page Business Plan
- The Rise of the Subscription Economy
- How to Build a Great Business Plan According to Peter Thiel
- What Is The Most Profitable Business Model?
- The Era Of Paywalls: How To Build A Subscription Business For Your Media Outlet
- How To Create A Business Model
- What Is Business Model Innovation And Why It Matters
- What Is Blitzscaling And Why It Matters
- Snapshot: One Year Of “Business Model” Searches On Google In Review
- Business Model Vs Business Plan: When And How To Use Them
- The Five Key Factors That Lead To Successful Tech Startups
- Top 12 Business Ideas with Low Investment and High Profit
- Business Model Tools for Small Businesses and Startups