He’s been part of the PayPal Mafia who managed to build a multi-billion dollar company eventually bought by eBay.
Once cashed his check from the PayPal acquisition, Reid Hoffman didn’t rest on his laurels. Instead, he decided to launch another company, which today we know as the professional social network, acquired by Microsoft in 2016 for over $26 billion, I’m talking about LinkedIn!
If you ask Reid Hoffman what contributed and determined the success of both PayPal and LinkedIn, he’ll mention a key ingredient: business model innovation.
As Reid Hoffman mentions in Blitzscaling and his Blitzscaling business model innovation canvas, the ideal scenario may be that of designing a business model while launching or before launching a company with the purpose of scaling that up.
As business modeling is growing in popularity as a topic, it is interesting also to notice how it is perceived worldwide.
A spike in interest for business modeling
By comparing the interest in the overall “business model” topic, it seems that it has improved substantially from the end of 2017 to the end of 2018.
If we look into which countries contributed the most to the rise of interest in “business model” China seems to be the one leading the pack:
Other countries like Zimbabwe, Jamaica, Singapore, and Ghana follow.
It is interesting to notice a spike in interest in Zimbabwe and its main areas:
However, if we zoom it in and look at cities instead, the major commercial and business center neighborhood in Tokyo, called Shibuya leads the pack:
Other areas in Tokyo called Chiyoda and Minato follow, followed by Amsterdam and Seoul.
Let’s look now at the related queries.
What do people associate with the “business model” topic?
Looking at the top related queries can give us a good understanding of how people perceive the topic “business model” overall:
What are the business models people are curious about?
Some of those examples comprise Big Basket business mode, Indeed business model (in Japan).
One thing that seems clear from those queries is how people perceive “business model” and “business model canvas” as a synonym. I looked more into this to see if it got confirmed by the correlation of the trends of those topics.
Business model and business model canvas perceived as synonyms
This might imply that people confuse business model for business model canvas. As pointed out several times on this site, a business model is a framework which aim is to represent the essential elements of an organization.
The business model canvas is a tool to achieve that understanding.
What conclusions if any?
A few interesting takeaways from this snapshot are:
- business modeling is a global phenomenon. It isn’t circubsribed to rich or western countries like the US. Instead it is of interest of countries like China, Zimbabwe, Ghana and many others
- most pople seem to mean “business model” and “business model canvas” as synonims
- a good chunk of people also confuse a business model for a busienss plan
- innovative business model like Indeed, HQ Trivia or Big Basket spark the curiosity of many people
- business modeling is tied to strategy and innovation which connect to a value proposition any organization is able to offer
Resources for your business:
- What Is a Business Model? 30 Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- Blitzscaling Business Model Innovation Canvas In A Nutshell
- What Is a Value Proposition? Value Proposition Canvas Explained
- What Is a Lean Startup Canvas? Lean Startup Canvas Explained
- How to Write a One-Page Business Plan
- What Is Business Development? The Complete Guide To Business Development
- What is SEO Hacking? How to Steal Featured Snippets with These SEO Hacks
Handpicked popular case studies from the site:
- The Power of Google Business Model in a Nutshell
- How Does Google Make Money? It’s Not Just Advertising!
- How Does DuckDuckGo Make Money? DuckDuckGo Business Model Explained
- How Amazon Makes Money: Amazon Business Model in a Nutshell
- How Does Netflix Make Money? Netflix Business Model Explained
- How Does Spotify Make Money? Spotify Business Model In A Nutshell
- The Trillion Dollar Company: Apple Business Model In A Nutshell
- DuckDuckGo: The [Former] Solopreneur That Is Beating Google at Its Game