Amazon is the largest online store in the world. Started out as an online bookstore, now Amazon embraces any product you can ever imagine. Jeff Bezos, as one of the wealthiest and most influential people in business on earth, has managed to survive the dot-com bubble while building a company that would stay for years to come. On this blog, we covered the Amazon business model from several perspectives. From how its prime membership segment was growing and how Amazon has been shifting from a core commerce company to a company that offers a complete experience to its members.
While the revenues from products, in 2014 represented about 77% of its revenues it then became about 61% in 2017. Indeed, other segments like AWS, subscription services, and third-party seller services has become a massive business, given Amazon scale.
Indeed, I pointed out how Amazon has been in part “swallowing the fish” as it was moving more and more to a subscription-based business model. However, even there Amazon strategy is relentless toward growth. When more people become prime members, they also spend more on the platform. Amazon makes more money. The company also runs on tight profit margins on its product sales, as it leverages on the cash conversion cycle to generate a massive short-liquidity for the business, used to expand quickly and take over several industries.
Handpicked related content:
- How Amazon Makes Money: Amazon Business Model in a Nutshell
- What Is the Receivables Turnover Ratio? How Amazon Receivables Management Helps Its Explosive Growth
- Amazon Case Study: Why from Product to Subscription You Need to “Swallow the Fish”
- What Is Cash Conversion Cycle? Amazon Cash Machine Business Model Explained
Other handpicked related business models:
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- What Is a Business Model? 30 Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- How Does PayPal Make Money? The PayPal Mafia Business Model Explained
- How Does WhatsApp Make Money? WhatsApp Business Model Explained
- How Does Google Make Money? It’s Not Just Advertising!
- How Does Facebook Make Money? Facebook Hidden Revenue Business Model Explained
- Marketing vs. Sales: How to Use Sales Processes to Grow Your Business
- The Google of China: Baidu Business Model In A Nutshell
- Accenture Business Model In A Nutshell
- Salesforce: The Multi-Billion Dollar Subscription-Based CRM
- How Does Twitter Make Money? Twitter Business Model In A Nutshell
- How Does DuckDuckGo Make Money? DuckDuckGo Business Model Explained