Amazon has a diversified business model. Amazon’s primary revenue streams comprise its e-commerce platform, made of Amazon labeled products and Amazon third-party stores. In addition to that, Amazon makes money via third-party seller services (like fulfilled by Amazon), advertising on its platform, AWS cloud platform, and Prime membership.
Breaking down how Amazon makes money
Amazon‘s revenue streams comprise:
- Amazon-branded products: those products are branded with Amazon label, and sold directly on its e-commerce platform.
- Amazon’s third-parties products: those are third-party stores hosted on Amazon Marketplace, which leverage Amazon distribution to amplify their products reach.
- Amazon third-party seller services: seller services comprise additional services that Amazon offers to third-party sellers to store their products in Amazon’s inventory and get them fulfilled by Amazon. In that case, Amazon will follow the whole process on its marketplace and give back a royalty to the third-party seller.
- Product advertising: Amazon is the most popular product search engine. On Amazon, you can find almost anything and Amazon enables third-party sellers to give more visibility to their products via performance-based advertising.
- Amazon Prime: a subscription-based service providing a library of TV Series and movies and at the same time a free and faster delivery on some of the products.
- Amazon AWS: that is the Amazon cloud platform, selling cloud space mostly on a cost-per-usage basis.
- Amazon Business Model
- What Is the Receivables Turnover Ratio? How Amazon Receivables Management Helps Its Explosive Growth
- Amazon Case Study: Why from Product to Subscription You Need to “Swallow the Fish”
- What Is Cash Conversion Cycle? Amazon Cash Machine Business Model Explained
- Why Is AWS so Important for Amazon Future Business Growth?
- Amazon Flywheel: Amazon Virtuous Cycle In A Nutshell
- Amazon Value Proposition In A Nutshell
- Why Amazon Is Doubling Down On AWS
- The Economics Of The Amazon Seller Business In A Nutshell
- How Much Is Amazon Advertising Business Worth?
- What Is the Cost per First Stream Metric? Amazon Prime Video Revenue Model Explained
- Jeff Bezos Teaches You When Judgment Is Better Than Math And Data
- Alibaba vs. Amazon Compared in a Single Infographic
- Amazon Mission Statement and Vision Statement In A Nutshell