Top Digital Advertising Business Models

how-does-google-make-money
Google has a diversified business model, primarily making money via its advertising networks that, in 2019, generated over 83% of its revenues, which also comprise YouTube Ads. Other revenue streams include Google Cloud, Hardware, Google Playstore, and YouTube Premium content. In 2019 Google made over $161 billion in total revenues.
facebook-marketing
With one of the broadest audiences and psychographics on earth, Facebook is still one of the most effective marketing platforms for brands to build both brand awareness and sales funnels. As part of a digital marketing strategy, leveraging social media can effectively build a solid company.
how-does-twitter-make-money
Twitter is a platform business model, monetizing the attention of its users in two ways: advertising and data licensing. In 2019, advertising represented 86.5% of its revenue at almost $3 billion. The remaining part is data licensing at 13.5% (over $465 millions) primarily related to enterprise clients using data for their analyses.
amazon-business-model
Amazon has a diversified business model. In 2019 Amazon posted over $280 billion in revenues and over $11.5 billion in net profits. Online stores contributed to over 50% of Amazon revenues, followed by Physical Stores, Amazon AWS, Subscription Services, Third-party Seller Services, and Advertising revenues.
who-owns-microsoft
Major individual shareholders comprise co-founder Bill Gates, who stepped down from the company’s board in 2020. As of 2019, Gates still owned a stake of 103 million stocks, which accounted for 1.34% of the company’s ownership (worth over $21 billion in October 2020). Other individual shareholders comprise Satya Nadella, the company’s CEO, Brad Smith (former president), Jean-Philippe Courtois (EVP), and Amy Hood (former CFO).
how-does-pinterest-work-make-money
Pinterest makes money by selling advertising for marketers and companies that can gain visibility for their brands and more sales for their shops. In 2018, Pinterest made over $755 million in advertising revenue and it had 250 million monthly active users. 
how-does-youtube-make-money
YouTube was acquired for almost $1.7 billion in 2006 by Google. It makes money through advertising and subscription revenues. YouTube advertising network is part of Google Ads, and it generated more than $15B in revenues in 2019. YouTube also makes money with its paid memberships and premium content.
how-does-tiktok-make-money
TikTok makes money through advertising. It is estimated that ByteDance, its owner, made over $17 billion in revenues, for 2019. While we don’t know the exact figure for TikTok ads revenues, given it counted over 800 million users by 2020, it is a multi-billion company, worth anywhere between $50-100 billion and among the most valuable social media platforms of the latest years.

Read Next: Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Microsoft, Pinterest, YouTube, TikTok.

Main Guides:

Published by

Gennaro Cuofano

Gennaro is the creator of FourWeekMBA which reached over a million business students, executives, and aspiring entrepreneurs in 2020 alone | He is also Head of Business Development for a high-tech startup, which he helped grow at double-digit rate | Gennaro earned an International MBA with emphasis on Corporate Finance and Business Strategy | Visit The FourWeekMBA BizSchool | Or Get The FourWeekMBA Flagship Book "100+ Business Models"