Instagram was acquired by Facebook, in 2012, for a billion dollars. As such, Instagram is now under the Facebook‘s control. Therefore, Mark Zuckerberg is the principal shareholder of the company. When Facebook acquired Instagram in 2012, it promised to keep it as dependent as possible. As of 2018, Facebook asserted control over Instagram. In 2018, Insgrangrm founder left the company.
The Instagram acquisition on a nutshell
Facebook acquired Instagram for $1 billion in 2012. As pointed out by the NY Times at the time “It’s a notable move for Facebook, which has exclusively focused on bite-size acquisitions, worth less than $100 million.”
For years, we’ve focused on building the best experience for sharing photos with your friends and family. Now, we’ll be able to work even more closely with the Instagram team to also offer the best experiences for sharing beautiful mobile photos with people based on your interests.
At the time Facebook was committed to leaving Instagram independent:
That’s why we’re committed to building and growing Instagram independently. Millions of people around the world love the Instagram app and the brand associated with it, and our goal is to help spread this app and brand to even more people.
No doubt that by then Instagram had become such an important asset for Facebook that Zuckerberg felt the pressure of asserting more control over it.
By 2018, Instagram would be the primary driver of Facebook revenues (driven by mobile advertising) and a key player in the digital advertising industry.
Revenue is generated through selling advertising on the platform.
- Instagram Business Model
- How Does Facebook Make Money?
- How Mobile Advertising Is Driving Facebook Growth
- The Advertising Economy: Inside Facebook Money-Making Machine
- The Hacker Way: Inside Facebook Business Strategy
- ARPU: This Is How Much You’re Worth To Facebook
- Visualizing Facebook ARPU Over The Years And Why It Matters
- Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- The Complete Guide To Business Development
- Business Strategy: Definition, Examples, And Case Studies
- Blitzscaling Business Model Innovation Canvas In A Nutshell
- What Is Market Segmentation? the Ultimate Guide to Market Segmentation
- Marketing Strategy: Definition, Types, And Examples
- Marketing vs. Sales: How to Use Sales Processes to Grow Your Business
- How To Write A Mission Statement