Management by Objectives or MBO is a strategic management tool, and a goal-setting management framework to align the organization around specific objectives. The core principle of MBO is to clearly define organizational objective to align management with employees across the organization.
OKR is a goal-setting management system ideated by Andy Grove, during his tenance as CEO of Intel. As explained in the book “Measure What Matters” written by entrepreneur and venture capitalist, John Doerr, the OKR framework consists of four key elements: focus and commit on priorities, align and connect for teamwork, track for accountability and stretch for amazing.
|“What”||“What” and “How”|
|Annual||Quarterly or Monthly|
|Private and Siloed||Public And Transparent|
|Top-down||Bottom-up or Sideways|
|Tied to Compensation||Mostly Divorced from Compensation|
|Risk Averse||Aggressive and Aspirational|
Connected Business Frameworks
Related Strategy Concepts: Go-To-Market Strategy, Marketing Strategy, Business Models, Tech Business Models, Jobs-To-Be Done, Design Thinking, Lean Startup Canvas, Value Chain, Value Proposition Canvas, Balanced Scorecard, Business Model Canvas, SWOT Analysis, Growth Hacking, Bundling, Unbundling, Bootstrapping, Venture Capital, Porter’s Five Forces, Porter’s Generic Strategies, Porter’s Five Forces, PESTEL Analysis, SWOT, Porter’s Diamond Model, Ansoff, Technology Adoption Curve, TOWS, SOAR, Balanced Scorecard, OKR, Agile Methodology, Value Proposition, VTDF Framework, BCG Matrix, GE McKinsey Matrix, Kotter’s 8-Step Change Model.
- Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- The Complete Guide To Business Development
- Business Strategy: Definition, Examples, And Case Studies
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- Blitzscaling Business Model Innovation Canvas In A Nutshell
- What Is a Value Proposition? Value Proposition Canvas Explained
- What Is a Lean Startup Canvas? Lean Startup Canvas Explained
- What Is Market Segmentation? the Ultimate Guide to Market Segmentation
- Marketing Strategy: Definition, Types, And Examples
- Marketing vs. Sales: How to Use Sales Processes to Grow Your Business
- How To Write A Mission Statement
- Growth Hacking Canvas: A Glance At The Tools To Generate Growth Ideas