Transportation and rideshare company Lyft has the following mission statement: “Improving people’s lives with the world’s best transportation.”
|Mission||“Improving people’s lives with the world’s best transportation.”||Lyft’s mission is centered around enhancing the quality of life by providing superior transportation services. It reflects a customer-centric approach aimed at making transportation more accessible and convenient. This mission serves as a guiding principle for the company’s initiatives and programs.|
|LyftUp Initiative||– Access to Job Opportunities: Lyft offers free rides to interviews, training, and initial employment weeks. – Healthy Food Accessibility: Provides discounted trips for low-income families and seniors for grocery shopping and food access. – Bike-Share Access: Partners with LeBron James’ Uninterrupted to offer free bike-share memberships to eligible young adults. – Vaccine Access: Offers free or discounted rides for vaccination appointments. – Lyft City Works: Invests in making cities more people-centric. – WAV Rides: Provides wheelchair-accessible vehicle options.||The LyftUp initiative exemplifies Lyft’s commitment to its mission. By addressing mobility barriers, food insecurity, job access, and vaccination challenges, Lyft demonstrates a strong sense of corporate social responsibility. These initiatives extend beyond profit-making and aim to improve the lives of diverse communities, making Lyft a socially conscious transportation provider.|
|Access to Job Opportunities||Lyft’s provision of free rides to interviews and job-related activities supports individuals in overcoming transportation barriers to employment. It aligns with the broader goal of enhancing people’s lives and contributing to economic empowerment.||Enabling access to job opportunities not only aligns with Lyft’s mission but also fosters positive social impact. By helping job seekers attend interviews and secure employment, Lyft plays a role in reducing unemployment and improving economic well-being within communities.|
|Healthy Food Accessibility||Lyft’s initiative to provide discounted rides for grocery shopping and nutrition assistance appointments addresses food insecurity. It contributes to the well-being of low-income families and seniors by ensuring access to fresh and healthy food options.||Promoting healthy food accessibility aligns with Lyft’s mission of improving people’s lives. By assisting individuals in accessing nutritious food, Lyft addresses a critical social issue and positively impacts the health and nutrition of underserved communities. This initiative reflects Lyft’s commitment to social responsibility.|
|Bike-Share Access||Lyft’s partnership with LeBron James’ Uninterrupted to offer free bike-share memberships to eligible young adults addresses transportation challenges faced by this demographic. It promotes an active and sustainable mode of transportation.||Providing free bike-share memberships aligns with Lyft’s mission to enhance transportation options and improve lives. It not only offers an alternative mode of travel but also encourages physical activity and sustainability, contributing to the well-being of young adults and the environment.|
|Lyft City Works||Lyft’s investment in making cities more people-centric through the Lyft City Works initiative aligns with its mission by focusing on enhancing urban mobility, sustainability, and accessibility.||The Lyft City Works initiative demonstrates Lyft’s commitment to creating a positive impact on cities and communities. By investing in projects that prioritize people-centered urban development, sustainability, and clean energy, Lyft contributes to improving the quality of life in urban areas.|
|Partnership with A Bridge Home||Lyft’s partnership with Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti’s A Bridge Home program to provide transportation for the city’s homeless population addresses the mobility challenges faced by vulnerable individuals.||Collaborating with programs addressing homelessness reflects Lyft’s commitment to societal well-being. By providing transportation solutions for vulnerable populations, Lyft helps improve their access to essential services and support systems, contributing to social welfare and equity.|
|Wheelchair-Accessible Vehicles (WAV)||Lyft’s provision of wheelchair-accessible vehicles (WAV) ensures that people with disabilities have reliable and accessible transportation options. It aligns with the mission of improving lives through inclusive and accessible transportation.||Offering wheelchair-accessible vehicles demonstrates Lyft’s dedication to inclusive transportation services. It addresses a specific mobility challenge faced by individuals with disabilities, enhancing their independence and access to essential destinations.|
The LyftUp initiative
One of the most obvious ways Lyft supports its mission statement is via the LyftUp initiative, a program that seeks to provide transportation for millions of people whose lack of mobility prevents them from accessing basic needs.
To solve this problem, LyftUp wants to provide affordable and accessible transportation for everyone irrespective of their income, age, or postal code.
Some of the company’s specific programs revolve around:
Getting people to work
Sometimes, the difference between landing a job and a lost opportunity is the ability to show up for an interview.
Lyft provides free car rides to interviews, training programs, and the first three weeks of employment to improve the lives of customers and give job seekers a better chance at success.
Healthy food accessibility
Around 23.5 million people in the United States alone are without access to fresh, healthy food.
In response, Lyft provides discounted trips for low-income families and seniors so they can access grocery stores, food pantries, farmers’ markets, and SNAP (nutrition assistance benefits) appointments.
Lyft has also partnered with NBA star Lebron James and his athlete empowerment company Uninterrupted to improve bike-share access.
With over 4.5 million young Americans unable to access affordable transportation, the program provides free, 12-month bike-share memberships to eligible 16 to 20-year-olds.
While the worst of the pandemic is likely behind us, Lyft still assists those who have trouble attending vaccination appointments.
Customers who require transportation can request a free or discounted ride.
Alternatively, Lyft users can fund rides for others by donating to the company’s non-profit partners who serve low-income and vaccine-hesitant groups.
Lyft City Works
Lyft City Works is a program that endeavors to rebuild cities around people to make mobility more seamless, sustainable, connected, and accessible.
To fund this initiative, Lyft invests $50 million or 1% of its profits (whichever is larger) on an annual basis.
The first city to benefit from the scheme was Los Angeles where three priorities were identified: providing transportation, developing transportation infrastructure, and fostering a clean energy future.
Lyft also partnered with Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti’s A Bridge Home program to provide transportation for the city’s substantial homeless population.
Lyft also improves people’s lives with its wheelchair-accessible vehicle (WAV) option for those with a disability.
When a user books a WAV ride, they are paired with drivers whose vehicles can accommodate non-folding or motorized wheelchairs and scooters.
These so-called “Access” rides are only available in ten cities across the US and Canada, but the company has plans to expand the service soon.
- Transportation and rideshare company Lyft has the following mission statement: “Improving people’s lives with the world’s best transportation.”
- Lyft’s mission statement is supported by numerous initiatives and programs that improve the quality of life for its customers. The LyftUp initiative, for example, improves healthy food accessibility and ensures people can make their job interviews and become employed.
- Other ways the company supports its mission statement include subsidized rides for vaccination appointments, a specialized service for disabled persons, and the Lyft City Works program to make cities more people centric.
- LyftUp Initiative: Lyft’s mission to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation is exemplified through the LyftUp initiative, which aims to provide transportation solutions for individuals facing mobility barriers.
- Access to Job Opportunities: Lyft offers free car rides to interviews, training programs, and the first three weeks of employment, enabling job seekers to access employment opportunities they might otherwise miss.
- Healthy Food Accessibility: Lyft addresses food insecurity by providing discounted rides for low-income families and seniors, helping them access grocery stores, food pantries, farmers’ markets, and nutrition assistance appointments.
- Bike-Share Access: In partnership with athlete empowerment company Uninterrupted and NBA star LeBron James, Lyft offers free 12-month bike-share memberships to eligible 16 to 20-year-olds, addressing transportation challenges for young Americans.
- Vaccine Access: Lyft assists individuals who need transportation to vaccination appointments by offering free or discounted rides. Users can also contribute to providing rides for low-income and vaccine-hesitant groups through donations.
- Lyft City Works: Lyft invests $50 million or 1% of its profits (whichever is larger) annually into the Lyft City Works initiative. This program focuses on enhancing urban mobility, sustainability, and accessibility by partnering with cities and supporting projects like transportation infrastructure development and clean energy initiatives.
- Partnership with A Bridge Home: Lyft partners with Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti’s A Bridge Home program to provide transportation for the city’s homeless population, addressing mobility challenges for vulnerable individuals.
- Wheelchair-Accessible Vehicles (WAV): Lyft’s WAV service offers wheelchair-accessible vehicles for people with disabilities, ensuring they have reliable transportation options that can accommodate non-folding or motorized wheelchairs and scooters.
Read Next: Lyft Business Model
Read: Mission Statement Examples.
Mission Statement Case Studies
Main Free Guides: