Starbucks’s mission is “to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.” And its vision is to “treat people like family, and they will be loyal and give their all.”
|Mission Statement||“To inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.”||Starbucks’ mission emphasizes its commitment to fostering a sense of community and providing a welcoming environment for customers. It reflects the company’s aspiration to go beyond simply selling coffee and create a positive, human-centered experience in its stores.|
|Core Values||Starbucks’ core principles include creating warmth and belonging, acting with courage and innovation, connecting with transparency and respect, and delivering excellence with accountability.||These core values underpin Starbucks’ company culture and guide its actions and decisions. They emphasize the importance of inclusivity, innovation, transparency, and accountability in every aspect of the business, from customer interactions to product development.|
|Vision Statement||“Treat people like family, and they will be loyal and give their all.”||Starbucks’ vision centers around creating a sense of family and loyalty among its customers and employees. It aims to make Starbucks locations feel like a second home, fostering a strong sense of community and comfort. This vision reflects the company’s dedication to building lasting relationships.|
|Business Model||Starbucks primarily operates as a chain business model, with a focus on company-operated stores. Company-operated stores account for the majority of its revenue (over 80% in 2022). The company also utilizes licensed stores to expand its brand globally.||Starbucks maintains tight control over product development, branding, and customer experience through company-operated stores. Simultaneously, it leverages licensed stores to amplify its brand presence and generate revenue in various regions worldwide.|
|Global Expansion||Starbucks continues to expand its global store base in established markets like the U.S. and newer, high-growth markets such as China. The expansion includes a mix of company-operated and licensed stores to optimize its global footprint.||Starbucks’ global expansion strategy allows it to cater to a diverse range of customers while maintaining control where necessary and leveraging partnerships in other regions. This approach ensures that the brand remains accessible and relevant on a global scale.|
|Social Impact||Starbucks is committed to its Starbucks Global Social Impact strategy, which includes ethical coffee sourcing, community contributions, and being an employer of choice. These initiatives align with its objective of being recognized and respected as a global brand.||Starbucks places importance on ethical practices, community engagement, and employee satisfaction as key elements of its corporate strategy. These efforts contribute not only to its reputation but also to its mission of nurturing the human spirit and creating a positive impact on both a local and global scale.|
The Starbucks Mission And Values
Starbucks highlights its mission as “to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.“
- Creating a culture of warmth and belonging, where everyone is welcome.
- Acting with courage, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
- Being present, connecting with transparency, dignity, and respect.
- Delivering our very best in all we do, holding ourselves accountable for results.
As pointed out in Starbucks 2018 Annual Report:
Our objective is to maintain Starbucks standing as one of the most recognized and respected brands in the world. To achieve this, we are continuing the disciplined expansion of our global store base, adding stores in both existing, developed markets such as the U.S., and in newer, higher growth markets such as China, as well as optimizing the mix of company-operated and licensed stores around the world. In addition, by leveraging the experience gained through our traditional store model, we continue to offer consumers new coffee and other products in a variety of forms, across new categories, diverse channels and alternative store formats. We also believe our Starbucks Global Social Impact strategy, commitments related to ethically sourcing high-quality coffee, contributing positively to the communities we do business in and being an employer of choice are contributors to our objective
Starbucks Vision In A Nutshell
This instilled a vision at Starbucks to “treat people like family, and they will be loyal and give their all.”
The vision statement is articulated around the concept of family, loyalty, and generosity.
What it means from the business standpoint is that Starbucks is a place where people spend a lot of time. Therefore, it has to feel like a second home.
Understanding Starbucks Business Model
If we look at the combined financial statements of the company, we can draw a few interesting conclusions.
The company revenues were in the last years primarily driven by company-operated stores.
However, let’s look at the composition of the company-operated stores vs. the licensed-operated stores. We can notice how Starbucks most of the total stores as company-operated. And the remaining as licensed stores.
While keeping a majority of its stores, company-operated was critical to control the brand and experience as much as possible.
The company also used the licensing model to substantially grow its brand worldwide.
Key Highlights about Starbucks:
- Mission Statement: Starbucks’ mission is “to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup, and one neighborhood at a time.” This mission reflects the company’s commitment to creating a welcoming and community-oriented coffee experience.
- Core Values: Starbucks’ core principles that shape its company culture include:
- Creating a culture of warmth and belonging.
- Acting with courage and innovation.
- Prioritizing transparency, dignity, and respect in connections.
- Delivering excellence and being accountable for results.
- Vision: Starbucks’ vision revolves around the idea of treating people like family to foster loyalty and dedication. It aims to create a sense of community and comfort, making Starbucks locations feel like a second home for customers.
- Business Model: Starbucks primarily follows a chain business model, with a focus on company-operated stores. In 2022, company-operated stores accounted for more than 80% of total revenues, emphasizing the importance of maintaining control over product development, branding, and customer experience.
- Global Expansion: Starbucks is dedicated to expanding its global store base, both in established markets like the U.S. and in newer, high-growth markets such as China. This expansion includes a mix of company-operated and licensed stores to optimize its presence worldwide.
- Social Impact: Starbucks is committed to its Starbucks Global Social Impact strategy, which includes ethical sourcing of high-quality coffee, community contributions, and being an employer of choice. These initiatives align with the company’s objective of maintaining its reputation as a recognized and respected global brand.