- MoonPay is a fintech company founded by Ivan Soto-Wright and Victor Faramond in 2019. The pair wanted to create a platform that made cryptocurrency fair and accessible for everyone.
- MoonPay facilitates instant, non-custodial transactions in a marketplace that connects payment cards, banks, and cryptocurrency exchanges. The company is sometimes referred to as the “PayPal of cryptocurrency” as developers can utilize a branded widget within their applications or use an API for more customization.
- MoonPay makes money via payment fees, processing fees, and a concierge service for wealthy individuals.
MoonPay is a fintech company founded by Ivan Soto-Wright and Victor Faramond in 2019.
The MoonPay story began in the summer of 2018 as Soto-Wright and Faramond were frustrated with the way users were onboarded into cryptocurrencies. In response, the pair created a simple, safe, and affordable solution that would allow users to buy and sell major cryptocurrencies using conventional payment methods such as credit cards and bank transfers.
The platform took off after MoonPay was able to secure its first partnership with cryptocurrency exchange Bitcoin.com. Over the following years, the small team worked hard and continued to add new partners and offer an increasingly diverse range of cryptocurrencies, such as BTC, DAI, BNB, ETH, NANO, LTC, XTZ, ZEC, and ZIL.
The company moved to a valuation of $3.4 billion after a Series A funding round worth $555 million in November 2021 – the most any bootstrapped crypto company had secured to date.
In essence, MoonPay is a creator of developer tools for fiat-to-crypto transactions.
The company facilitates instant, non-custodial transactions in a marketplace that connects payment cards, banks, and cryptocurrency exchanges. MoonPay is sometimes referred to as the “PayPal of cryptocurrency” because developers can utilize a branded MoonPay widget within their applications. Alternatively, they can use the MoonPay API if they desire more customization.
This service allows crypto companies to build streamlined and seamless purchase experiences for consumers in more than 150 countries. More than 5 million consumers now use the company’s network of wallets, dApps, and partner exchanges.
How does MoonPay make money?
MoonPay charges a processing and payment fee for users in its marketplace. The company also makes money via a concierge service for cashed-up clients. Let’s look at these streams below.
Processing and payment fees
MoonPay charges a 4.5% processing fee for card payments and a 1% processing fee for bank transfers when a user purchases cryptocurrency. There is also a 1% fee for selling cryptocurrency. The fee structure is the same for consumers and businesses.
Note that a portion of these fees is shared with the card issuer, which is either MasterCard or Visa. MoonPay also uses some portion of the fees it collects to pay for fraud detection services.
MoonPay Concierge is a service for wealthy individuals who desire a seamless way to purchase cryptocurrencies and non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
Little is known about how much the company charges for this service, but it is likely the fee varies on a case-by-case basis.
- Developer Integration: MoonPay offers developer tools, including a branded widget and API, that developers can integrate into their applications and platforms. This allows MoonPay to reach end-users indirectly through various cryptocurrency applications and services.
- Marketplace Presence: MoonPay operates as a marketplace connecting payment cards, banks, and cryptocurrency exchanges. Users can access MoonPay’s services through these partner exchanges and platforms.
- Global Reach: MoonPay’s services are designed to be accessible to users in over 150 countries, making it a global player in the cryptocurrency space. This wide geographical reach allows them to serve a diverse user base.
- Strategic Partnerships: The company strategically partners with cryptocurrency exchanges, wallets, and dApps (decentralized applications) to expand its distribution network. Partnerships with major players in the crypto industry enhance its visibility and accessibility.
- Customizable Solutions: MoonPay provides both a branded widget and an API, allowing developers to choose the level of customization for integrating MoonPay’s services into their applications. This flexibility caters to different distribution needs.
- Developer Adoption: MoonPay encourages developers to adopt its tools by offering a user-friendly and developer-friendly solution for enabling cryptocurrency transactions within their platforms. This adoption indirectly expands MoonPay’s reach to end-users.
- Developer Outreach: MoonPay likely conducts developer outreach programs to promote its developer tools. They may offer resources, documentation, and support to encourage developers to integrate MoonPay into their applications.
- Brand Recognition: Establishing MoonPay as a trusted and reliable service provider in the cryptocurrency space is essential. Building brand recognition among developers and end-users is likely a focus of their marketing efforts.
- Partnership Announcements: Publicizing strategic partnerships with cryptocurrency exchanges, wallets, and other platforms can raise awareness of MoonPay’s availability within these ecosystems.
- Educational Content: Providing educational content about cryptocurrency transactions, security, and the benefits of using MoonPay may help attract and inform potential users.
- User Experience: Ensuring a seamless and user-friendly experience when using MoonPay’s services is a form of marketing in itself. Positive user experiences can lead to word-of-mouth recommendations and increased adoption.
- Targeted Advertising: MoonPay may use targeted advertising campaigns to reach specific audiences, such as developers looking to integrate cryptocurrency functionality or users seeking a convenient way to buy and sell cryptocurrencies.
- Founders and Leadership: MoonPay was founded by Ivan Soto-Wright and Victor Faramond, who likely hold leadership positions within the company. They set the company’s vision and strategic direction.
- Development and Technology: Teams responsible for developing and maintaining MoonPay’s developer tools and infrastructure, including software engineers, developers, and technical experts.
- Business Development and Partnerships: This team focuses on establishing partnerships with cryptocurrency exchanges, wallets, and other platforms to expand MoonPay’s reach. It may also handle negotiations and collaboration with strategic partners.
- Marketing and Communications: Professionals in this area manage marketing strategies, brand development, and communication efforts to promote MoonPay’s services to both developers and end-users.
- Customer Support: Customer support teams provide assistance to users and developers who have questions or encounter issues while using MoonPay’s services.
- Compliance and Legal: Ensures that MoonPay complies with relevant financial regulations and legal requirements in the jurisdictions where it operates.
- Product Development: This team focuses on improving and expanding MoonPay’s developer tools and services to meet the evolving needs of the cryptocurrency market.
- Finance and Funding: Manages the company’s financial operations, including revenue collection, budgeting, and financial planning.
- User Experience (UX) and Design: Professionals in this area work on enhancing the user interface and overall user experience of MoonPay’s services.
- Data Analytics: Analysts and data experts may gather and analyze data related to user behavior, transaction trends, and market insights to inform business decisions.
- Founding and Mission: MoonPay is a fintech company founded in 2019 by Ivan Soto-Wright and Victor Faramond with the goal of making cryptocurrency accessible to everyone.
- Platform Functionality: MoonPay offers a platform that enables instant, non-custodial transactions involving payment cards, banks, and cryptocurrency exchanges. It provides a marketplace for users to buy and sell major cryptocurrencies using conventional payment methods.
- “PayPal of Cryptocurrency”: MoonPay is sometimes referred to as the “PayPal of cryptocurrency” because developers can integrate a branded widget or API within their applications to enable cryptocurrency transactions.
- Partnerships and Growth: MoonPay’s success grew with partnerships, including one with cryptocurrency exchange Bitcoin.com. The company continued to expand its offerings, supporting various cryptocurrencies like BTC, DAI, BNB, ETH, NANO, LTC, XTZ, ZEC, and ZIL.
- Valuation and Funding: After a Series A funding round worth $555 million in November 2021, MoonPay reached a valuation of $3.4 billion. This was a significant achievement for a bootstrapped crypto company.
- Business Model: MoonPay serves as a creator of developer tools for fiat-to-crypto transactions, enabling a seamless purchase experience for consumers in over 150 countries.
- Revenue Streams: MoonPay generates revenue through processing and payment fees as well as a concierge service for affluent clients.
- Processing and Payment Fees: MoonPay charges users a 4.5% processing fee for card payments and a 1% processing fee for bank transfers when purchasing cryptocurrency. Additionally, there’s a 1% fee for selling cryptocurrency.
- Shared Fees and Fraud Detection: A portion of the fees collected by MoonPay is shared with the card issuer (MasterCard or Visa), and some is allocated to cover fraud detection services.
- MoonPay Concierge: MoonPay offers a concierge service aimed at wealthy individuals seeking a seamless way to purchase cryptocurrencies and NFTs. The fees for this service likely vary on a case-by-case basis.
|Value Proposition||MoonPay offers a compelling value proposition for its users, including: – Convenience: Providing a seamless and user-friendly platform for purchasing cryptocurrencies and digital assets. – Global Access: Offering access to a wide range of cryptocurrencies, catering to a global user base. – Variety of Payment Methods: Supporting various payment methods, including credit/debit cards, bank transfers, and more. – User-Friendly Interface: Offering an intuitive and easy-to-use interface for both beginners and experienced users. – Security: Prioritizing security measures to protect user data and transactions. – Quick Transaction Processing: Facilitating fast and efficient transactions. – Accessibility: Enabling users to buy cryptocurrencies without the need for complex technical knowledge. – Regulatory Compliance: Adhering to regulatory standards to ensure a safe and compliant platform.|
|Core Products/Services||MoonPay’s core products and services encompass: – Cryptocurrency Purchase: Allowing users to buy various cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more. – Payment Processing: Facilitating transactions by accepting payments through credit/debit cards, bank transfers, and other methods. – Cryptocurrency Wallet Integration: Integrating with cryptocurrency wallets to securely store purchased assets. – Compliance Solutions: Implementing compliance tools to verify user identities and ensure adherence to regulatory requirements. – API Integration: Offering an API for businesses and platforms to integrate MoonPay’s services into their applications. – Global Coverage: Providing access to users worldwide, supporting multiple languages and currencies. – User Support: Delivering customer support for inquiries and assistance related to transactions. – Partnerships: Collaborating with cryptocurrency exchanges, wallet providers, and businesses to expand the reach of its services. – Fiat-to-Crypto and Crypto-to-Crypto Transactions: Enabling users to convert between fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies, as well as trade between different digital assets.|
|Customer Segments||MoonPay serves a range of customer segments, including: – Retail Investors: Attracting individual investors looking to buy and hold cryptocurrencies. – Crypto Enthusiasts: Catering to cryptocurrency enthusiasts and hobbyists seeking access to a variety of digital assets. – Developers: Providing API solutions for developers and businesses looking to integrate cryptocurrency purchasing into their applications. – Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs): Supporting businesses that want to accept cryptocurrency payments or offer crypto-related services to their customers. – Crypto Wallet Users: Serving users of cryptocurrency wallets who need a convenient way to purchase assets. – Cryptocurrency Exchanges: Partnering with cryptocurrency exchanges to facilitate user deposits and trading. – Global Audience: Targeting users from various countries and regions, especially those with limited access to traditional banking services. – Digital Natives: Attracting tech-savvy individuals comfortable with digital platforms and assets. – Investment Platforms: Collaborating with investment platforms that offer cryptocurrency as an investment option. – Crypto Startups: Supporting emerging cryptocurrency startups in building user-friendly onboarding experiences.|
|Revenue Streams||MoonPay generates revenue through various revenue streams: – Transaction Fees: Charging fees on cryptocurrency purchases, typically a percentage of the transaction amount. – Processing Fees: Earning fees from payment processing for cryptocurrency transactions. – Conversion Fees: Charging fees for converting between different cryptocurrencies or fiat currencies. – Volume-Based Fees: Offering tiered fee structures based on transaction volume. – API Usage Fees: Charging businesses and platforms for using MoonPay’s API to integrate its services. – Exchange Partnerships: Earning revenue through partnerships with cryptocurrency exchanges based on user referrals and trading volume. – Licensing Fees: Charging licensing fees to businesses for using MoonPay’s compliance tools and services. – Margin on Exchange Rates: Earning a margin on exchange rates for currency conversion services. – Premium Services: Offering premium features and services to users for a subscription fee. – Data Insights: Selling anonymized user data and transaction insights to third-party organizations for market analysis.|
|Distribution Strategy||MoonPay employs a strategic distribution strategy to reach users and promote its services: – Integration with Cryptocurrency Wallets: Collaborating with cryptocurrency wallet providers to offer integrated purchasing options. – Partnerships with Exchanges: Partnering with cryptocurrency exchanges to facilitate user deposits and trading. – Developer-Focused Approach: Targeting developers and businesses by providing API solutions for easy integration. – Global Accessibility: Expanding its reach by offering support for multiple languages, currencies, and regions. – User Education: Providing educational resources and guides on cryptocurrency purchasing and security. – Marketing and Promotion: Running marketing campaigns to raise awareness and attract new users. – User Referral Program: Encouraging users to refer friends and earn rewards for successful referrals. – Responsive Customer Support: Offering customer support channels to assist users with inquiries and issues. – Regulatory Compliance: Ensuring compliance with global regulations to build trust with users and partners. – Secure and User-Friendly Interface: Maintaining a secure and user-friendly platform to enhance the user experience.|
Connected Fintech Business Models
Main Free Guides: