In this short article, I want to clarify the critical difference between virality and network effects. Often (too often) those terms are used, or thought of as the same thing.
Thus, a network effect is a way to create a lasting competitive advantage. And to offer more value to users. A viral effect is primarily a marketing tactic to gain traction and visibility for your product.
Network effects and virality can work together. For instance, as more users join through viral effects, if the platform is taking advantage of network effects, the more also it will become prone to improve its virality.
As highlighted in the interview with Sangeet Paul Choudary, best selling author of Platform Scale and Platform Revolution:
And he continued:
Or take the example of YouTube, the more videos that are being set up on YouTube, the more choice I have as a viewer to view things on YouTube.
Instead, virality happens when:
So a viral effect is a growth tool that brings external users back to the platform. Whereas a network effect increases the value on the platform, just like adding more than more and more videos onto YouTube.
- Continuous Innovation And Lean Startup With Ash Maurya
- Lessons On Running Lean With Ash Maurya [Lecture]
- Key Lessons In Lean Analytics With Alistair Croll
- How To Design A Winning Business Model With Adam J. Bock [Interview]
- Breaking Down Digital Transformation With David L. Rogers [Lecture]
- A Guide To Disruptive Business Models With Thales Teixeira [Lecture]
- Discussing Business Model Innovation With Felix Hofmann [Lecture]
- Dissecting Platform Business Models With Nick Johnson [Lecture]
- Pretotyping: How To Find The Right Idea To Avoid Business Failure With Alberto Savoia [Lecture]
- Innovation Strategy Lessons With Greg Satell [Lecture]
Other business resources:
- What Is Business Model Innovation And Why It Matters
- What Is a Business Model? 30 Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- The Complete Guide To Business Development
- Business Strategy: Definition, Examples, And Case Studies
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- Blitzscaling Business Model Innovation Canvas In A Nutshell
- What Is a Value Proposition? Value Proposition Canvas Explained
- What Is a Lean Startup Canvas? Lean Startup Canvas Explained
- What Is Market Segmentation? the Ultimate Guide to Market Segmentation
- Marketing Strategy: Definition, Types, And Examples
- Marketing vs. Sales: How to Use Sales Processes to Grow Your Business
- How To Write A Mission Statement
- What is Growth Hacking?
- Growth Hacking Canvas: A Glance At The Tools To Generate Growth Ideas