Banks like JPMorgan, Bank of America and Goldman Sachs make money with consumer banking, investment baking, commercial banking, and asset and wealth management. Those banks collect fees for the services provided. Also, banks earn on the interests of money borrowed.
A critical metric to assess the success of any bank is its ability to attract assets under management. For instance, in 2017 JPMorgan managed over two trillion of assets, while Goldman Sachs managed almost one and a half trillion and Bank of America over a trillion.
- How does JPMorgan make money?
- How does Goldman Sachs make money?
- How does Bank of America make money?
- Who manages the most assets under management among JP Morgan, Bank of America and Goldman Sachs banks?
- Who makes more revenues among JP Morgan, Bank of America and Goldman Sachs banks?
How does JPMorgan make money?
JP Morgan Net Revenues in 2017
|Consumer & Community Banking||$46.48B|
|Corporate & Investment Bank||$34.49B|
|Asset & Wealth Management||$12.91B|
JPMorgan operates four major reportable business segments:
- Consumer & Community Banking
- Corporate & Investment Bank
- Commercial Banking
- Asset & Wealth Management.
The strongest segment for JPMorgan is the consumer and community banking with over $46 billion in income of $9.4 billion. This segment comprises a customer base of 61 million U.S. households and 4 million small businesses. Those customers had 97 million card accounts and spent over $900 billion on those cards in 2017.a 17% return on equity ( ) and a net
The primary operating segments of JPMorgan Chase are summarized below:
Source: JPMorgan Chase Annual Report (2017)
How does Goldman Sachs make money?
Goldman Sachs Net Revenues in 2017
|Investment Banking||$ 7.37B|
|Institutional Client Services||$11.90B|
|Investing & Lending||$6.58B|
- Investment Banking
- Institutional Client Services
- Investing& Lending
- Investment Management
The four primary segments and the services offered for each are described below:
Source: Goldman Sachs Annual Report (2017)
The Institutional Client Services services are the largest segment of the bank. I comprise fixed income, currency and commodities client execution. This segment is followed by investment banking, investing and lending and investment management.
If we look at Goldman Sachsbased on the primary services provided:
Source: Goldman Sachs Annual Report (2017)
Investment banking together with market making are the primary sources of income. The market is making consists on having a reserve of certain financial instruments so that when a buyer or seller of that financial instrument is willing to make a transaction, she/he will be able to do so, even in the absence of a buyer/seller on the other side. Indeed, the market maker is the one acting as a counterpart, thus making the transaction possible. This ensures and smooth transactions even when none is queuing on that transaction.
Those market-makingconsist of (excluding net interest) from client execution activities related to interest rate products, credit products, mortgages, currencies, commodities and equity products.
How does Bank of America make money?
Bank of America net revenues in 2017
|Global Wealth & Investment Management||$18,6B|
Bank of America has four business segment:
- Consumer Banking
- Global Wealth & Investment Management
- Global Banking
- Global Markets
The largest segment is Consumer Banking which comprises. Deposits and Consumer Lending, including traditional savings accounts, money market savings accounts, CDs and IRAs, noninterest-and interest-bearing checking accounts.
Deposits generate fees such as account service fees, non-sufficient funds fees, overdraft charges, and ATM fees, as well as investment and brokerage fees from Merrill Edge accounts.
Consumer Lending generates interchangefrom:
- and debit card transactions
- late fees
- cash advance fees
- annual credit card fees
Source: Bank of America Annual Report (2017)
Below the primary segments and all the related activities of Bank of America:
Who manages the most assets under management among JP Morgan, Bank of America and Goldman Sachs banks?
Total Assets Managed
|JPMorgan||Bank of America||Goldman Sachs|
Massive banks like JPMorgan, Bank of America, and Goldman Sachs manage from billion to trillion of assets. Indeed, a key metric to assess the success of any bank is its ability to attract client’s assets. In short, banks manage those assets for the clients and earn commissions on the asset management performed.
For, instance, in 2017 JPMorgan managed over two trillion of assets, while Goldman Sachs managed almost one and a half trillion and Bank of America over a trillion. This metric of the assets under management is critical to assess the business model sustainability of those banks as it is also a measure of trust clients might have toward those banks.
Who makes more revenues among JP Morgan, Bank of America and Goldman Sachs banks?
Total Net Revenues
|JP Morgan||Bank of America||Goldman Sachs|
At revenue level, JPMorgan made almost $100 billion in 2017, compared to over $87 billion of Bank of America and over $32 billion of Goldman Sachs.
Other business resources:
- What Is a Business Model? 30 Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- The Complete Guide To Business Development
- Business Strategy: Definition, Examples, And Case Studies
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- Blitzscaling Business Model Innovation Canvas In A Nutshell
- What Is a Value Proposition? Value Proposition Canvas Explained
- What Is a Lean Startup Canvas? Lean Startup Canvas Explained
- What Is Market Segmentation? the Ultimate Guide to Market Segmentation
- Marketing Strategy: Definition, Types, And Examples
- Marketing vs. Sales: How to Use Sales Processes to Grow Your Business
- How To Write A Mission Statement
- What is Growth Hacking?
- Growth Hacking Canvas: A Glance At The Tools To Generate Growth Ideas
Handpicked case studies:
- The Power of Google Business Model in a Nutshell
- How Does Google Make Money? It’s Not Just Advertising!
- How Does DuckDuckGo Make Money? DuckDuckGo Business Model Explained
- How Does Twitter Make Money? Twitter Business Model In A Nutshell
- How Amazon Makes Money: Amazon Business Model in a Nutshell