T-shaped people have now become an essential part of the business world. As the story goes, a T-shaped profile is a person that has a deep understanding and expertise in one or two areas and a broad knowledge of several other areas:
T-Shaped profiles and skills had become widely popular throughout the 1990s when technical people started to get out from engineering departments to take more and more management roles.
Drawbacks for T-Shaped profiles in the digital age
A T-Shaped profile might have been one of those profiles that thrived throughout the 1990s, however as companies evolved to become more and more entrepreneurial; innovation required also large organizations to organize most of their teams around an entrepreneurial mindset.
While a T-Shaped profile adapted well in an era or relatively fast change, it won’t adapt as well in an age of extremely fast-paced evolution. In this era, an X-Shaped which looks more like an artist or able to understand several areas of your business so well will be a pivotal profile to drive your business success.
Inside an X-Shaped profile
If you want to hit it big, you need to start adding authoritativeness and leadership as critical skills. That is when you make the jump from T-shaped to an X-shaped profile!
The X-shaped is an evolution of the T-shaped.
Where T-shaped understands that collaboration is a key for growth; The X-shaped profile understands that leadership and strategic thinking are a crucial ingredient to move a small or large group toward goals that require massive action. Thus, the X-shaped is together a T-shaped profile and a recognized leader within the organization!
Those sorts of profile work extremely well in moonshot organizations.
Other business resources:
- What Is a Business Model? 30 Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- The Complete Guide To Business Development
- Business Strategy: Definition, Examples, And Case Studies
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- Blitzscaling Business Model Innovation Canvas In A Nutshell
- What Is a Value Proposition? Value Proposition Canvas Explained
- What Is a Lean Startup Canvas? Lean Startup Canvas Explained
- What Is Market Segmentation? the Ultimate Guide to Market Segmentation
- Marketing Strategy: Definition, Types, And Examples
- Marketing vs. Sales: How to Use Sales Processes to Grow Your Business
- How To Write A Mission Statement
- Growth Hacking Canvas: A Glance At The Tools To Generate Growth Ideas