Amazon is among the most popular websites on earth and its business model is one of the most powerful in terms of revenue generation and growth. In fact, even though Amazon keeps its profits margins very tight, it used the liquidity generated by the business to grow fast and disrupt several industries!
As reported on Amazon Annual Report for 2017:
Amazon organized its operations into three segments:
- North America,
- and AWS.
When it comes to financial highlights:
Sales increased 27% and 31% in 2016 and 2017, compared to the comparable prior year periods.
Changes in foreign currency exchange rates impacted net sales by $(5.2) billion, $(550) million, and $210 million for 2015, 2016, and 2017.
North America sales increased 25% and 33% in 2016 and 2017, compared to the comparable prior year periods.
The sales growth in each year primarily reflects increased unit sales, including sales by third-party sellers, and, in 2017, the impact of the acquisition of Whole Foods Market.
International sales increased 24% and 23% in 2016, and 2017, compared to the comparable prior year periods. The sales growth in each year primarily reflects increased unit sales, including sales by third-party sellers.
Changes in foreign currency exchange rates impacted International net sales by $(5.0) billion, $(489) million, and $138 million in 2015, 2016, and 2017.
Handpicked related content:
- How Amazon Makes Money: Amazon Business Model in a Nutshell
- How Does Netflix Make Money? Netflix Business Model Explained
- What Is the Receivables Turnover Ratio? How Amazon Receivables Management Helps Its Explosive Growth
- Amazon Case Study: Why from Product to Subscription You Need to “Swallow the Fish”
- What Is Cash Conversion Cycle? Amazon Cash Machine Business Model Explained
- What Is the Inventory Turnover Ratio? How Inventory Efficiency Can Fuel Business Growth
Other handpicked related:
- What Is a Business Model? 30 Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- How Does PayPal Make Money? The PayPal Mafia Business Model Explained
- How Does WhatsApp Make Money? WhatsApp Business Model Explained
- How Does Google Make Money? It’s Not Just Advertising!
- How Does Facebook Make Money? Facebook Hidden Revenue Business Model Explained
- Marketing vs. Sales: How to Use Sales Processes to Grow Your Business
- The Google of China: Baidu Business Model In A Nutshell
- Accenture Business Model In A Nutshell
- Salesforce: The Multi-Billion Dollar Subscription-Based CRM
- How Does Twitter Make Money? Twitter Business Model In A Nutshell
- How Does DuckDuckGo Make Money? DuckDuckGo Business Model Explained