When it comes to business education, we all make huge assumptions. It seems like if you don’t go back to school and learn the basics from a well-paid Ph.D. professor, then you are not actually learning anything valuable.
Is that really the case?
In a world that changes at faster and faster pace, how can you find the best resources, without putting too much time and money into it?
How can you be sure to have an up to date education, worth your time and effort, without spending a buck?
My answer is pretty easy, YouTube!
What? Yes, YouTube! with its over one billion users (which by the way represents almost 30% of the total worldwide web population), it is the most valuable place where you can find any kind of information.
From how to speed read to how to make pasta, YouTube is the greatest library of knowledge (beware of the noise and funny cats videos though) you can ever find.
Having said that, for whoever is trying to make it in the business world, few valuable subjects are essential. The three most important ones I believe are:
- Finance & Accounting
- Sales & Marketing
Economics allows you to understand the bigger picture. In other words, particularly macro level economics makes you zoom out from your day to day business operations and have a wider perspective.
Finance and Accounting are crucial too for few simple reasons. Frist, if you are starting out on your own, initially you cannot afford to hire a person that works full time as data entry. Although nowadays there are many software that make your life easier (such as Freshbooks) it is critical to have a foundation of accounting. Second, having a basic understanding of finance will allow you to use the optimal capital structure for your firm.
Sales & Marketing will either make or break your business. If you don’t sell your product or service, it means that you don’t know how to market it. And if you don’t know how to market it, it means you never actually asked the most important question,
“Who is my customer?“
With no further ado, the five videos that will bring you from zero to essential in the above disciplines in the matter of few hours, zero money and no hustle!
Resources for your business:
- What Is a Business Model? 30 Successful Types of Business Models You Need to Know
- What Is The Best Business Model For A Small Business?
- What Is a Business Model Canvas? Business Model Canvas Explained
- Business Model Tools for Small Businesses and Startups
- What Is a Value Proposition? Value Proposition Canvas Explained
- What Is a Lean Startup Canvas? Lean Startup Canvas Explained
- What Is the Minimum Viable Product? Why Use the Exceptional Viable Product Instead
- How To Build A Business Model Based On The Market Leader Weakness
- The Marketing Lessons Learned from Rand Fishkin