- Amazon reported net sales of over $332 billion in the first nine months of 2021. Distributed across product sales (over $170 billion) and services (over $162 billion). Reporting over $19 billion in net income in the same period.
- The fastest growing segment was the advertising business, with a 50% year over year growth (at over $8 billion in Q3), followed by AWS, and subscription services (Prime).
- Online stores grew by 3% at over $49 billion, and third party seller services also grew by 19% year over year at over $24 billion.
Amazon’s CEO, Andy Jassy highlighted:
We’ve always said that when confronted with the choice between optimizing for short-term profits versus what’s best for
customers over the long term, we will choose the latter—and you can see that during every phase of this pandemic
He also highlighted:
In the first several months of COVID-19, Amazonians played an essential role to help people secure the requisite PPE, food, and other in-demand items needed, and we worked closely with businesses and governments to leverage AWS to maintain business continuity as they responded to the pandemic. Customers have appreciated this commitment, which is part of what’s driving this past quarter’s AWS growth acceleration to 39% year over year; but, it’s also driven extraordinary investments across our businesses to satisfy customer needs—just one example is that we’ve nearly doubled the size of our fulfillment network since the pandemic began. In the fourth quarter, we expect to incur several billion dollars of additional costs in our Consumer business as we manage through labor supply shortages, increased wage costs, global supply chain issues and increased freight and shipping costs—all while doing whatever it takes to minimize the impact on customers and selling partners this holiday season. It’ll be expensive for us in the short term, but it’s the right prioritization for our customers and partners.
All you have to know about Amazon:
- Successful Types Of Business Models
- What Is Business Model Innovation And Why It Matters
- What Is the Receivables Turnover Ratio? How Amazon Receivables Management Helps Its Explosive Growth
- Amazon Case Study: Why from Product to Subscription You Need to “Swallow the Fish”
- What Is Cash Conversion Cycle? Amazon Cash Machine Business Model Explained
- Why Is AWS so Important for Amazon Future Business Growth?
- Amazon Flywheel: Amazon Virtuous Cycle In A Nutshell
- Amazon Value Proposition In A Nutshell
- Why Amazon Is Doubling Down On AWS
- The Economics Of The Amazon Seller Business In A Nutshell
- How Much Is Amazon Advertising Business Worth?
- What Is the Cost per First Stream Metric? Amazon Prime Video Revenue Model Explained
- Jeff Bezos Teaches You When Judgment Is Better Than Math And Data
- Alibaba vs. Amazon Compared in a Single Infographic
- Amazon Mission Statement and Vision Statement In A Nutshell